Friday 27 April 2012

Sweet Potato Lasagna Recipe

On April 4th we returned from a trip to Cuba, it was great fun, and although many people claim you don't go to Cuba for the food, I quiet liked it.  As the one to do most of the cooking for our family, the fact that I didn't have to shop for, plan meals, prepare food, or do dishes, meant I was probably pretty easy to please, but I honestly felt like everything was good.  

I didn't have any issues while there, some people complain about getting sick or just being a bit off.  I really loved that there were no processed foods, everything was made by hand with natural ingredients. However, since we have been back I've reached the conclusion that red meat no longer agrees with me. I'm not sure why, but I get an awful upset stomach everytime I eat beef.

So today I went looking for a recipe for Sweet Potato Fries and I came across this from Readers Digest!  I'm going to give it a try, sounds like an interesting alternative to traditional lasagna and I have all the ingredients on hand.

Ingredients

3 lbs (1.5 kg) sweet potatoes
2 tbsp (25 mL) olive oil
1 tsp (5 mL) salt
8 lasagna noodles
Sauce:
3 tbsp (50 mL) vegetable oil or butter
¼ cup (50 mL) all-purpose flour
4 cups (1 L) 1% milk, hot
1 tsp (5 mL) salt or to taste
¼ tsp (1 mL) pepper
generous pinch nutmeg
pinch cayenne
2 cups (500 mL) grated mild cheese (e.g. Lappi or mozzarella)
¼ cup (50 mL) grated Parmigiano Reggiano

Directions

  1. Peel sweet potatoes, cut into ¼-in. (5-mm) slices, toss with olive oil and salt and place in a single layer on a parch­ment-lined baking sheet. Roast in a preheated 400°F (200°C) oven until lightly browned, about 30 minutes.
  2. Meanwhile bring a pot of water to a boil. Add 1 tbsp (15 mL) salt. Cook noodles 3 to 5 minutes, until just tender. Rinse in cold water and arrange in a single layer on wet tea towels.   
  3. Melt butter in a large saucepan, whisking in flour. Cook gently, without browning, about 2 to 3 minutes. Whisk in hot milk and bring to a boil, stirring until mixture thickens. Season with salt, pepper, nutmeg, cayenne to taste.  
  4. To assemble, spoon about ½ cup (125 mL) sauce over the bottom of an oiled 9- x 9-in. (2L) baking dish. Line with a layer of noodles, then a layer of roasted sweet potatoes. Spread with 1½ cups (375 mL) sauce and half the grated mild cheese. Repeat layers.  Sprinkle with Parmigiano Reggiano.
  5. Bake in a preheated 350°F (180°C) oven for 25 to 30 minutes, until bubbling and browned on top. Let rest 10 minutes before serving.
I'll let you know how it goes!

No comments:

Post a Comment